The long endeavor of gathering most adored albums of all the years of music has began and this overall useless and unimportant process has become a life's purpose and dream. The lists will at first cover a period from the 80's until now, staring from metal and expanding from there, all of them kept in the true diamond website Rate Your Music.
Scandinavian Leather (2003)
Burning Heart Records (Sweden) | Epitaph Records (US)
After all this time, I'm returning to posts about shit I buy and it's not all too much lately. I've always wanted to look more into Turbonegro albums because it's a band that has been suggested many times and they seem to be liked by metalheads quite much. I found Scandinavian Leather in a second hand store for a really cheap price, mostly among totally random numbers there, but it was the discovery that made me buy it in the end. I don't know much about them and a track featured here, "Train of Flesh", is weirdly the first I heard by Turbonegro ever. Even though there's lots of "ooOOOoo" for my taste, some tracks are catchy and well written. From what I have heard so far, it's only specific tracks by the band I dig.
Favorite tracks: Gimme Somme, Train of Flesh, F**k the World (F.T.W.)
|László Moholy-Nagy, At Coffee, c. 1920s|
We're close, we're almost there! This is the final post before my main list and again I'm doing this seperation with miscellaneous albums, maybe for the last time. We'll see!
10. William Basinski - A Shadow in Time
9. The Necks – Unfold
8. Brad Medhlau & Chris Thile - Brad Medhlau & Chris Thile
jazz, piano, acoustic
7. Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs – Feed the Rats
6. Ulver – The Assassination of Julius Caesar
5. Colin Stetson – All This I Do for Glory
4. Elder – Reflections of A Floating World
stoner / hard rock
3. Godspeed You! Black Emperor – Luciferian Towers
2. Susanne Sundfør - Music for People in Trouble
★ 1. Krokofant – Krokofant III ★
Shuffling through releases of my favorite format, I saw new violent Svartidauði material, as well as Sinmara and finally another One Tail, One Head EP. Great new bands come around, like Abkehr, Daeva, Chevalier, Thantifaxath’s mini album appealed to me more than their full length a couple of years ago and Poison Blood was a reasonable / nice crossover. Fever Nest was the best gift of the year and close to the epitome of filth, just how it’s done. I want to change my approach to end year lists drastically in the future, but I hope this kind will stick around.
10. Poison Blood – Poison Blood
9. Chevalier – A Call to Arms
8. One Tail, One Head – Firebirds b/w Prowess
7. Oranssi Pazuzu - Kevät / Värimyrsky
6. Daeva – Pulsing Dark Absorptions
5. Svartidauði – Untitled
4. Thantifaxath - Void Masquerading As Matter
3. Abkehr – In Asche
2. Sinmara – Within the Weaves of Infinity
1. Fever Nest – Black Carrion Fowl
I surely prefer the last two years over 2017 when it comes to my homeland’s releases and I wasn’t blown away by almost anything. In fact, I was kindly disappointed by bands I expected more from, even though in some other occasions, I went through pleasing listens. Apart from a top ten, below you will find one EP / demo and split of the year, just one in each case. As I’m very keen in black and death metal, most of the stuff here, if not all, are records of the two genres.
The main reason I post a list like this (almost) all the time is because I want to keep notes of Greek releases each year, not because I have stronger interest or appeal about it than music from around the world. There are great artists who deserve recognition here, we have history and a few bands have gone very popular in the underground and not only, but if you limit your listening choices to a single place, you totally miss the pace of a genre, as a whole. I have some thoughts I might expand in a different article one day.
If you look at them strictly, a couple are not metal, I know!
10. Kawir - Εξιλασμός
9. Procrastinate - Procrastinate
8. Dephosphorous – Impossible Orbits
7. Acherontas - Amarta
6. SepticFlesh – Codex Omega
5. Βρωμόστομοι - Αποστόμωση
4. Locust Leaves – A Subtler Kind of Light
3. Resurgency – No Worlds… Nor Gods Beyond
2. Hate Manifesto – To Those Who Glorified Death
1. Natvre’s – Early Cvlts
EP of the year:
Deviser - Howling Flames
Demo of the year:
Black Blood Invocation – Black Blood Invocation
Split of the year:
Diablery / Shadowcraft - Entropy